I believe the greatest relationship that we will have is the one we have with our own self. I am a strong believer in always putting yourself first.
It seems that in looking at social media today, self-care has turned into this new idea of expensive trips, weekend parties, and tangible items.
For me, self-care is prioritizing attention you deserve. It is very important that you find that balance for yourself in all aspects of life.
I put together a list of ways to ensure you are practicing self-care. Some people may read the below and say duh, of course, you should be doing these things. However, ask yourself are you truly doing it and you would also be surprised at those who are not because they always put their work and others first.
The goal of self-care is to reduce and not add stress in your life.
- I have a regular routine for how I start and end my day
- I regularly spend time with the people I love most
- I sleep at least seven hours a night
- I routinely see my doctor and dentist
- I have taken a real vacation in the past year
- I have a pampering routine
- I have a routine on how I maintain my household
- paying bills
- grocery shopping
- I eat regular meals that are healthy for me
- I do a monthly activity that makes me happy
- I turn off my cellphone/disconnect notifications to be in the moment
- I include a break in my day to reset myself from the day to day madness
- I check in with myself and ask myself how I am doing
- I don’t speak badly about myself: do things to improve self-confidence/self- esteem
- I stay away from ALL things negative
- I say no when I know I should
- I say yes when I know I should
- I believe in myself
No one says you have to turn into this optimal person giving yourself self-care overnight but I suggest really taking the time to implement things that show you are headed into that direction full-time. You will be surprised how good you will start to feel when you start to add things that are to better you.
What are some things you do to practice self-care?